Do Vitamins Really Make Us Healthy?

Valerie Minard is a health and spirituality blogger whose article “Do vitamins really make us healthy?” was recently published in mycentaljersey.com. I thought my Southern California readers would appreciate reading about the connection Valerie makes between health, spirituality, and consciousness.

When I was growing up, it was normal at breakfast time for my mother to have a variety of vitamins on the kitchen table for me to take each day. She was convinced this regime would make me smarter, healthier and prettier. Not necessarily in that order. I dutifully forced them down but rebelled when she tried to disguise cod liver oil in my juice. Not happening! Now, instead of vitamins, in the early morning I have a daily regime of prayer. I quiet my thought and think about my spiritual relationship to the divine. Establishing my connection to God strengthens me and gives me peace of mind. I’ve found, over time, that it also maintains my well-being. It helps sweep away those cobwebs of fear that collect in the morning, dragging me down, and puts my day on higher ground. I’ve learned that my health doesn’t actually come from vitamins. I’ve come to trust that my health and well being are spiritually grounded. Link to read Valerie’s complete article

Comments

The thought that health comes with a spiritualization of thought is revolutionary. Thanks so much for sharing.

I also have found that prayer in the morning, affirming God’s care and His presence with me, feeds me with the spiritual ideas that keep me healthy and give me the strength, intelligence, acuteness, and ability needed for the day. It also has a side-effect…peace and happiness!
    No vitamins necessary. (=

I was just reading about Daniel in the Bible, who first shows up when he and his friends are refusing the king’s meat, preferring simpler fare and their unfailing reliance on God’s love and care for their wellbeing. Ever after over decades in trying situations under different governments, Daniel is relied on for his wisdom and intelligence and withstands the company of lions better than any physically mighty person could. So much for vitamins as the basis of his health. We also get to know that treatments sometimes insisted upon by well-meaning family and advisors cannot harm us, because God’s love is always where we are. (My mom meant well when she gave me cod liver oil.) :-)

Thanks Don for sharing Valerie’s blog it was well thought out and well written. Many people I know start the day with prayer or quiet time getting close to God and trusting that uplifted thought to bring a sense of better health and harmony. I find that starting my day with some quiet prayerful listening for what is right and good for me, brings a sweet sense of calm in my sometimes hectic day. The day doesn’t seem so hectic when I start with prayer, even though there is a lot going on. Thanks again for this reminder that starting our day with prayer brings health, joy, and harmony.

5. sue says

Thank you for this refreshing perspective. I agree that a daily regime of prayer, a thoughtful time of meditation & reflection on my unbroken and loving relationship with my Father Mother–God helps me quiet my thought, not react when difficult moments or comments are made, maintain my well being and to keep a cheerful outlook on my day. Digging deeper into those spiritual ideas helps me to overcome the barrage of commercial advertising on TV etc. that seems to suggest that life without supplements, medication and so forth is not possible. Being made and maintained in God’s image and likeness daily assures us that freedom from material supplements is definitely possible and refreshing. That is peace of mind for sure!

I read an article on vitamins a couple of years ago by a medical expert, and the conclusion was that they weren’t necessary at all for one’s health. It brought out that the public has been educated to think that vitamins are helpful and at the tune of billions of dollars. Lots to think about there.

I appreciated all the good thoughts expressed as to how the contributors start their day with spiritual sustenance rather than a little colored pill.

Thank you for this post.

7. Diana U says

When I was little I used to wish I could have vitamins like my friends did, they looked so tasty! Now I realize my health does not come from a pill but from my Creator! :)