Keep on Course Through Winds of Change

Keep on Course Through Winds of Change

By Susan Spears from Costa Mesa, California

I found myself looking out the window yesterday and there is a tree at the level of our third floor window that was vigorously dancing in the wind – an unusual occurrence here in Southern California. It was beautiful to watch – with flashes of silver from the undersides of the leaves and hints of red from the new growth.

This tree’s movement got me thinking about an idea mind-body guru Lissa Rankin shared about a comfort zone not being the best place for growth. And everyone wants to grow, right? We are all looking for ways to be more capable of handling situations – whether they are health, financial, emotional, or social. Any of life’s situations.

But although Mary Baker Eddy defines wind as “…the might of omnipotence and the movements of God’s spiritual government,” many times a person may be blown off course, letting the winds of change keep that person adrift.  I’ve found it important to keep this in mind and remember that God is in control, not the seemingly uncontrollable events in my life.

Once when my family was getting ready to move from one apartment to a larger apartment, the whole apartment complex seemed to be coming down with a bug. Within a couple days of the move, my family also had the symptoms. I clung to the idea that God was in control of the situation, both for the move and with my family’s health. I still remember this absolutely overwhelming sense of encompassing love that I felt late at night as I struggled with the symptoms. Within a short time my family recovered and we were able to move to our new place.

Change is almost never comfortable, but these changes encourage us to grow. Eddy also said that, “trials are proofs of God’s care.” But the reason that trials are proofs of God’s care isn’t because he is giving us trials, but rather because these trials are the impetus to rely more fully on God – in every aspect of life.

Comments

1. Jan in Laguna Hills says

What wonderful, inspiring, and helpful words as this particular time in my life. Thank you so much, Susan!

Thanks for reminding us that “In heavenly Love abiding, no change my heart shall fear” (hymn 148) as opposed to my college professor’s comment, “Come weal, come woe, my status is quo.”

Thank you for writing, and thank you for adding the definition of “Wind” from Mrs. Eddy. She also has in that definition “…encompassing all things.” It gives such a tender ideas of God’s mothering qualities.

4. Elizabeth Anne Nelson says

Thank you so much, Susan. I enjoyed reading about this experience. In hymn 148 the writer comforts us to be fearless during times of change: ” In heavenly Love abiding, No change my heart shall fear; And safe is such confiding, For nothing changes here. The storm may roar without me, My heart may low be laid; But God is round about me, And can I be dismayed?” Depending on His “All Presence, ” means there is no other presence. This consciousness restores our peace and health. Elizabeth Nelson

5. Julie says

These are such important ideas. Thank you for writing, and I feel much “steadier” today–wind or no wind–because of it.

6. Kathleen Cramer says

Thank you. It is often forgotten that progress brings change – always. I have been grateful through the years that I have had to move and adjust to change often. It keeps one tractable. I do have to shake myself from a comfort zone that is not productive of progress.
    Your comments are helpful.

7. sue says

Thank you for verifying once again that change helps us grow. As a middle school teacher each day brought change, adjustment and growth. The more challenging the situation, the more I had to rely on God to guide me and show me how to help, encourage and respond with love. When we meet & make the numerous decisions needed each day, connect with the various people we meet and the call to see good in our lives and those of others, we can see kindness, patience and love expressed and filling our day. Confidence grows and progress is made as we move forward!

Wind is my least favorite weather condition so I was glad to be reminded of its definition in Science and Health. Taking it out of the material condition always brings the right kind of mental change.

I was interested in the comments about Hymn #148 because it’s been my favorite hymn since I was nine years old. Its message about not fearing change is a great comfort.

As change has often been a big challenge for me, I truly appreciated this post.

Thank you so much.

When tremendous changes have taken place in my life, I have been blessed to remember Revelation 21: 5, “Behold, I make all things new.” Hymn #381 , verse 2 from the Christian Science Hymnal has a line that goes along with it, “Creative Mind, all good supplying…” Creative Mind doesn’t have bad answers for our next steps, but fresh ideas to light our path.
    Thanks for the blog and for all the replies!

10. Susan says

Thanks for all of the great comments. They definitely add valuable ideas to the thoughts presented in my blog – and I love the idea of being steady!

11. Kathleen says

Thank you Susan, for this reminder to welcome God’s winds of change, and not be afraid of them!

12. Mary says

Appreciated your blog, Susan. I’m playing tennis today, and it’s very windy here–my least favorite condition under which to play. But, after reading your blog, I can see that the tennis ball may be blown off course, but I will not. Thank you!