Receiving Joyous News by Phone

Receiving Joyous News by Phone

A guest post written by Rahla Lindsey from La Cañada Flintridge, California

“I have to tell you what just happened!”

My interest was piqued. The woman I was talking to has been my friend and neighbor for more than fifty years, and we shared just about everything – husband stories, recipes, children’s scrapes, and moments of neighborhood gossip. But most of all, we loved to talk about the people in the Bible, the ones we called “our friends.”

We aren’t members of the same denomination, but we are both Christians, and so there was that common bond. Recently she had undergone shoulder replacement surgery, which had not progressed well, and I wanted to help her by being a good listener. Because she was in terrible pain, she would call for comfort and prayer. Yes, she knew she was God’s daughter, and she thought she understood that pain wasn’t part of that – but to her it seemed so real. Her doctors wanted to re-do everything and she was sure she did not want that. But what did she want?

Actually, what do we all want? What do we all need? Good question.

My thought turned to a loved statement from Mary Baker Eddy’s Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures. “What we most need is the prayer of fervent desire for growth in grace, expressed in patience, meekness, love, and good deeds.” Well, here was someone who fervently desired more than just being comfortable. She was seeking health and healing. So we discussed how to find that healing through growth in grace. She expressed the traditional theological idea that grace is unmerited divine assistance, and I responded, “What do you mean unmerited? If we are God’s perfect, whole ideas, then we merit and deserve all the good that God has for us.”

We didn’t have more time to talk then – she was on her way to her Bible study. So I mentally put her in God’s loving arms, and off she want.

The next morning I received her phone call. She told me I was the only one who would really understand what happened. The previous evening she had sat stoically through the Bible study, trying to follow the discussion of the Gospel of Luke. As the group was wrapping up, she quietly asked everyone there if they would pray for her. And then everyone left for home. Because nothing immediately changed physically for her, she had the thought that maybe she wasn’t God’s loved daughter after all.

But when she awakened, she was absolutely pain free with unimpeded movement. She was filled with joy at the truth of her spiritual identity as God’s whole daughter.

So here’s that question again: What do we all need? We need the quiet confidence in our perfection as children of God. In this way blessings and grace are understood to be merited and wholeness and health are expressed.

Comments

1. Susan says

Thank you, Rahla, for this lovely example of healing, and Mrs. Eddy’s quote wonderful quote, “What we most need is the prayer of fervent desire for growth in grace, expressed in patience, meekness, love, and good deeds.” (Science and Health p. 4:3). She certainly received the prayer she needed.

2. Dan Miller says

Wow, after reading my lesson I followed by reading this wonderful post. Thanks, what a wonderful way to start the day. How true….“What we most need is the prayer of fervent desire for growth in grace, expressed in patience, meekness, love, and good deeds.” …..Thanks again!

3. Adrienne says

What a lovely post! Thank you for sharing the question of what do we all really need(or want)… but to be loved and cared for by a loving Father and comforted by a loving Mother today and always and in all ways. I am so grateful that Mrs. Eddy shared her discovery of Christian Science with the world and brought out that God is “Mother” with those qualities as well as the traditional “Father”. I was always comforted and encouraged by reading Mrs. Eddy’s poem “Mother’s Evening Prayer” when I wasn’t feeling well. It is also such a lovely one to share with friends of other denominations! Thank you again for the post.

Thanks, Rahla, what a beautifully helpful article, full of that foundational assurance of God’s grace constantly bestowing good to His children.

Thank you Rahla. Its always helpful to hear how others have reached out to those of other denominations. We can know that just the right healing thoughts will come when we love our neighbor and desire to help. This was a wonderful example. (=

6. Dee says

You have taught me that I must not be reluctant to share the Christ-Truth with another even tho’ they are of another religion or perhaps of no religion at all. It is wonderful to hear of your neighbor/friend’s healing. I hope she shared it with her Bible study group.

The warmth and goodness of your experience with your friend just shines! Thank you for sharing it with us. Recently my cousin and her husband visited us on their way to an adventure. I hadn’t seen them in years, and my husband had never met them. They are active members of a different Christian denomination, but we found so much common ground, based on the Bible. She read with fascination some of my husband’s studies of the Psalms. There was simply no distance between us. As Mary Baker Eddy says, “False fears are foes–truth tatters those, When understood.” (Christian Science Hymnal #160)

8. Nancy A says

What true neighborliness! Sharing the “good news” of our pain-free status as the well-loved children of God!

9. sue says

I join with other people commenting and adding their joy in seeing God’s healing power available to one and all. It is so comforting to know that “… we are God’s perfect, whole ideas, [and that] we merit and deserve all the good that God has for us.” That spiritual fact touches and heals each person who accepts it as it did for the friend mentioned in this article. I love knowing that grace and healing is not unmerited but a vital part of all God’s creation. This encourages me to share God’s goodness with more friends and neighbors.

10. Julie says

Thank you so much for this story about your friendship and about your friend’s healing. That “traditional” understanding of “unmerited divine assistance” has always been special to me, actually. I have always thought it simply meant that the assistance was a gift from God and we didn’t have to earn it, per se. So either way, that gift is given. Happy freedom for her, and a step to help mankind forward.

11. Ann says

Thanks Rahla, once again your sweet sharing of God’s ever present healing power has helped a perfect child of God regain their freedom and health. Thanks for sharing God’s grace.

12. Muriel Horacek says

Thanks, Rahla, for your inspiring message. I’m forwarding it to my son.
    Muriel

Wow, that was awesome. I’ve been out of town and to come back to such good news is absolutely wonderful. Thanks for sharing this healing of God’s perfect child.