Is It Worth It To Detox Mentally?

Is It Worth It To Detox Mentally?

My colleague Tim Mitchinson is a health blogger from Illinois, and in his article he writes about the health benefits gained when negative feelings such as anger, jealousy, or hate are eliminated from ones thinking.

More and more individuals are considering detoxing and cleansing their bodies of impurities for health reasons.   But interestingly, some of the most toxic problems we suffer are negative mental states.

For instance, research, as well as common sense, is increasingly showing the health risks of anger.  An Ohio State University study showed that those who had less control over their anger tended to heal more slowly from wounds.  In another study, researchers concluded that anger problems have been linked to all major causes of death.

For many, negative feelings can sometimes accumulate to disturbing levels. During those times, we need a good mental detoxing to clear out unhealthy emotions, such as jealousy, stress and irritation, which can poison one’s good nature, upset mental balance, and damage health.

Here are some helpful tips I have found in my spiritual practice that are important in mental cleansing:

• Don’t let resentments fester and grow – eliminate them with forgiveness
  • Cleanse away hatred with affection and compassion
  • Purge past disappointments with gratitude for good things in your life today
  • Don’t rehearse cruelty – practice empathy and tolerance instead

It is love, compassion and appreciation that will help us detox our mentality and bring us many health benefits.

St. Paul lists nine important ingredients that can help detox any hatred: patience, kindness, generosity, humility, courtesy, unselfishness, good temper, guilelessness and sincerity (see I Cor. 13: 5-8).  These qualities act as antidotes for anger and its health threats.

There was a time in my life when I hated a colleague of mine.  His life seemed so much better and his success more pronounced.  I eventually became ill whenever I thought of him.  I realized I needed a good detoxing.  I studied I Corinthians 13 and tried to be more unselfish, kind and patient with my friend, others I knew, and even myself.  The result?  My anger disappeared.  We became friends again, my health became stronger and my life richer in many ways.

American human development specialist and founder of the Heart/Math Institute, Doc Childre, wrote, “Appreciate yourself for whatever progress you’ve made, then use that energy of appreciation to move forward.”

If you’re combatting anger, jealousy or hatred, try a mental cleansing.  Give yourself a good mental detox with humility and love.  See for yourself how it helps eliminate stress.  You’ll feel better about yourself and even reap some lasting health benefits.

©2014 Christian Science Committee on Publication for Illinois

Comments

1. Adrienne says

Good one Tim!! As you have shared, no good comes from comparing ourselves to others, in fact it is detrimental to our well being! If we could just know that God created us each as important as another and as individual as snowflakes, with our own special qualities and talents, we can glory in that knowledge and be satisfied knowing how loved we all are…for ourselves!! Thanks Tim!

I’ve thought about that detoxing in hearing from those who have taken such great effort to change their diets, temporarily, to cleanse themselves, temporarily…and how the Christian Science detox is ongoing, daily, hourly…cleansing ourselves of fear, ignorance and sin. Nice to have a temporary “cleansing” if it makes one feel clean…but the only real cleansing, as I see it…is the purification or spiritual immersion we speak of as true baptism.

3. Dan Miller says

Thanks Tim….great post. “Don’t rehearse cruelty” and “Don’t let resentments fester and grow” are great advice. I also appreciated Paul’s list of nine. In addition I often thinks of Jesus’ words….”Forgive them for they know not what they do” and then I do my best to leave it with God. Thanks again for the detox ideas.

Thanks Tim, what a good reminder this is for us to hear and heed. I also love Paul’s nine ways to detox mentally. As the old saying goes, “What you see, is what you get.” So if we see negativity, then we will get negativity. I choose to see good because that is what I wish to get.

What an interesting use of the word “detox,” and an important one in the context of cleansing one’s mentality from undesirable thought patterns.

It is encouraging to learn that researchers are making the connection –“that anger problems have been linked to all major causes of death.” And to counteract that, the mental cleansing tips in this post are excellent, as our Paul’s “ingredients” for better mental health.

I appreciated the experience with your colleague. I too at one time carried a huge resentment and worked diligently to free myself from its grip. I didn’t call it detoxing then, but that’s what I was doing — expelling the mental poison trying to eat away at my well-being. I finally reached that place of peace and knew that I was safe in my God-given freedom. I felt myself returning to the natural joy and harmony which I’d always embraced as the happy way to live my life. There was no disappointment in the outcome. Every moment of detoxing effort brought a measure of progress, and the result was complete victory.

Thank you for this insight about “detoxing” one’s mentality. I can say with assurance that it is definitely worth it!

6. Connie says

What a wonderful way to start the day!