Mighty Through God

Mighty Through God

A guest post written by Anne Hughes

Our granddaughter’s little dog Kriegie lives at our house. Several weeks ago we noticed that she had suddenly stopped using her back legs, so we started to pray for her – as we do for ourselves when we need help. We made her comfortable and looked after her needs, but because she is not our dog we took her to a veterinarian after a couple of days. The vet kindly examined her and concluded that she was paralyzed and had no feeling in her hind legs. He said that a very expensive operation might correct the situation, but he knew that was not an option for our budget and sent us home with some medications. He did say that occasionally pets “miraculously” recover.

I looked at the medications, and one said that it might upset her stomach. She had not been eating very much, so that did not seem like a good option. Another would relax her muscles, but we were counting on her USING her muscles. I put them aside and called a Christian Science practitioner, who agreed to pray along with us for Kriegie.

The word krieg in German means war, and it had always seemed to me to be an odd choice of a name for this joyful, lively Jack Russell terrier, so I looked up the words war and warfare in the Bible and in the writings of Mary Baker Eddy, 19th century health researcher and founder of Christian Science. In the Bible I found, “the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds.” It comforted me to think of Kriegie as standing strong with us against immobility and limitation. We continued to trust her to God’s care, and Kriegie continued to move about the best she could.

A few days later, I noticed that Kriegie began to wag her tail. Over the next couple of days she struggled to all four feet to move around and was able to go outside again. Shortly after that, to the delight of our granddaughter and her family, Kriegie was dashing about the yard! This is just one of many instances in my life where challenges have been healed by reliance on prayer that is “mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds.”

Comments

I love to hear about healings pets have had through prayer. The impositions of generally accepted diseases and physical problems and so-called breed related health problems that are placed on animals is of epidemic proportion it seems. It is so encouraging to know that through prayer these unjust pronouncements can be healed or prevented altogether. We owe it to our animal friends to watch what we are accepting as true about their being, as expressions of God’s beloved creation. (=

2. Susan Y. Berry says

Thank you Anne for sharing this dear account of Krieg’s healing. We also have had our loved animals healed through prayer through the years. They are certainly the pure ideas of a loving God!

Thanks Anne. I have found that animals respond quickly to prayer. What a happy experience. So glad you shared it with us.

What a wonderful healing Kriegie had. It reminded me of a healing our dog had many years ago.

We lived on a corner, and sometimes, when the sun was shining on the street next to the curb, Wags would enjoy a warm rest by the side of the house. She was pretty street savy and would only do this on the week-ends when there was no traffic.

Well, one early Saturday morning my uncle came by and parked his car on the side where Wags was sleeping. He didn’t see her, and after realizing what had happened, he was devastated.

My brother and I were very young, and we were crushed to see our beloved dog looking lifeless. Our mother was the only one not upset. She asked our father and uncle to bring Wags into the house.

All week-end she prayed and cared for Wags even though it looked like a hopeless situation. But by Saturday evening Wags was showing signs of life, and her progress continued. In just a few days she was back to her normal self, and lived a long and happy life. Interestingly enough, she never slept in the street again.

I remember that my mother never doubted Wags’ recovery. She remained calm and encouraged my brother and me to pray too.

I’ve always loved the Bible statements that say nothing is impossible to God and the one that asks the question, “Is anything too hard for the Lord?” Embracing that message and trusting it can do wonders in removing the fear and doubt that would limit one’s faith in God’s healing power.

Thank you for this heart warming blog.

Special thanks, Anne, for sharing this calm and mighty illustration of how God preserves harmony and life, and how we can understand enough of that to see evidence of it right here in our day-to-day living and loving.

6. Kathie Kilgore says

Animals are precious and pure and very receptive to prayer. Thanks so much for this heartwarming story!