The Spice of Life

The Spice of Life

A guest post written by Susan Spears

Article originally posted September 29, 2011

Ever hear that phrase, “variety is the spice of life?” While I was driving home the other day I got to thinking about variety and by extension, choice. It’s amazing what avenues your mind will travel when you let it. First I noticed how many types of cars there are. We may have started with just one type of Ford when cars were invented, but the wide array of choices available today shows where our imaginations and industry can take us. Then I was admiring the different styles of homes that I was passing by. Sure – lots of stucco – but also brick, wood, and stone. Then I started thinking about almost the infinite variety of things that have variety – books, clothes, professions, landscaping, colors – and the list goes on! Try it. It’s actually a fun exercise.

But my point is that we as a people thrive on this variety to give us expression and to stimulate and excite us. If not, we would be like the Borg on Star Trek, where we’re assimilated into a society of uniformity. Or we would be like the people on Camazotz in A Wrinkle in Time, where everyone is controlled by one brain named It. I’m sure there are many more stories out there about conformity and reduction in choices and freedom. Why? Because they are cautionary tales. And we don’t want to lose our individuality.

And that idea brings me back to my musings while driving. I am extremely grateful for the infinite variety of variety. But I also see an area that could use some variety and choice. That area is in health care. Not everyone uses the medical model for their health care needs. But in terms of health care reform, spiritual care, which is my health care of choice, is not included.

Let’s keep this choice available for those who would like to use it.

Comments

1. bill says

When the supplemental hymns came out, I was blown away with the new choices and individual expressions to show the unchangeable word of God. Variety and individual expression show the uniqueness and closeness that each of us share with our Infinite Mind God.
    Some resisted these hymns, because they were new, different, unfamiliar. It’s a new day, let’s embrace it, not fear it. Whether it’s a stucco or wood house, it’s still a house. Whether it’s an African beat or a Fugue, it’s a singable tune with inspired words, it’s music.
    San Diego Bill

2. Tracy says

Great post, Susan! Few things in our society are “one size fits all” – healthcare included! Variety and individual choices are what enrich a culture and help people grow. :)

Hi Susan!
    You make an excellent point! There are many choices we get to make in our lives, where we live, what kind of car we drive who we will spend our lives with and how we feel drawn to worship God. But sadly it is true that we seem to be denied the right to choose our health care if it involves prayer and spirituality! To bad, too, becuase for over 2000 years, healing has been part of religion! The Bible is full of accounts of God’s healing ability! I love to read these, study them along with another wonderful book on the subject by a woman who was a spiritual healer, Mary Baker Eddy. This book, Science and Health with key to the Scriptures has been explaining how Christ Jesus was able to preform healings as part of his ministry. It has been my health care manual along with the Holy Bible for all my life. I pray the option of this kind of health care be given the same consideration as other, in my estimation, less effective practices! God is ever available, there are no side effects and his practice is the safest, most efficient way to maintain health, vigor and freedom form disease!

4. Noie says

I like this “spice of life” outlook. There is a poem that talks about “he draw a circle and left me out, but I drew a circle and took him in. Let’s promote “big circles”

5. Sheila says

Great article, Susan! I felt like I was in the car with you. Health care choices seem a lot like car-color choices today: black, white, silver, and now and then a red, and a few other muted shades. I remember growing up with lots of easily recognizable car designs, and beautiful, cheerful colors. Where we live in Southern California, neutral shades fill the parking lots and streets – virtually devoid of color. What a contrast that is to the beauty of Springtime, bursting with the lovliness of color, design, and fragrance of flowers and trees. And so there should also be variety with health care choices, and people should not have to pay for something they do not use. There are many views about our origins. For those who understand their origin to be spiritual, as ideas in the thought of their Creator, it’s normal to turn to that Creator’s spiritual laws, which are always in operation, for their health.The first chapter of the Bible tells us that we are made in the image and likeness of God; and that all creation was “very good” (Genesis 1: 26,27; 31). In 1866, Mary Baker Eddy, a sincere seeker for health, and truth, was instantaneously healed of a medically diagnosed “death-bed” spinal condidition, by asking for her Bible, opening it and reading in the book of Matthew, chapter 9, verse 2, of the healing of the palsied man by Christ Jesus, (page 24 of her published works, Miscellaneous Writings.).So she spent the next three years deeply studying the Bible and discovered the spiritual laws which were the basis of Christ Jesus’, the prophets’, disciples’, Paul, and early Christians’ healing of all kinds of disease and troubles. She also found in the Bible that God is the source of spiritual law (Principle), Mind, Soul, Spirit, Life, Truth, and Love. The knowledge that our character is the same as our Creator’s, only to be discovered and lived, brightens the world and brings happiness – and health.

6. Marc Thompson says

Thank you Susan for the inspired view point. Spiritual Care should be included so that everyone has equal freedom in their care choices.

7. Karen says

Thanks for sharing these thoughts! Yes, although the majority of people choose traditional medicine as their primary means of health care, that choice shouldn’t be forced on everyone. Christian Scientists are among those who strive to rely exclusively on God through prayer, and have found this form of health care to be safe, effective, and spiritually uplifting. Let’s keep the health care spice cabinet fully stocked for all!

8. George says

Thanks Susan for this inspiring thought. I recently viewed a lecture by Ginny Leudeman in which she spoke of the uniqueness, the infinite variety of man/woman.. . .the spice of life. . .which we all can rejoice in. The spiritual fact that we are all the children of God, unites us and we can rejoice.

WOW, thanks Susan and everyone for your comments they are great and so varied and yet the same in theme. Sorry I ‘m just getting to this Susan but was not near a computer yesterday so just finished reading my Wed. emails and now am getting to Tuesdays. This was by far the best message I received. Varity is definitely the spice of life and as one responder brought out Spring brings out a variety of color that is just amazing. My garden is an example of that as I have 58 different rose bushes and they are all gorgeous. And each one is appreciated and cared for. And like my roses, those who desire Prayer or a spiritual approach to their health care also need to be appreciated and cared for by making sure they are included in the variety of choices we are being offered. To your blog I say AMEN!