The U. S. Federal Office for the Committee on Publication is actively engaged in health care reform. Here is their latest posting of information that I hope will be helpful.
We’re heading into 2013 with great momentum as we continue working in the area of health care reform. It promises to be a big year, with the Affordable Care Act’s requirement to purchase health insurance going into effect on January 1, 2014, and with Christian Scientists still waiting to learn what their options will be under this law. We’ll continue to stay in close touch as we know more in the coming months.
We’re vigorously pursuing several options, including:
(1) Opt-out—gathering support from Members of the House of Representatives and the Senate to expand the Affordable Care Act’s religious conscience exemption so that anyone—including Christian Scientists—with a sincerely held religious belief against purchasing the required medical insurance can be exempt from the law’s mandate to have it.* A bipartisan group of nearly sixty Members of Congress has agreed to support this effort, and, though the timing is not yet certain, we’re working to achieve the goal as soon as possible.
(2) Inclusion—requesting that federal and state governments include coverage of Christian Science practitioner, Christian Science nursing facility, and individual Christian Science nursing services in the benefits that will be offered in health insurance plans at the state health insurance marketplaces that will open in October 2013. Our discussions with federal and state governments about the inclusion of Christian Science health care services remain very promising.
We recognize that you and your family are facing important decisions this year about how to respond to the new requirements in the Affordable Care Act. We hope you regard our office as both an advocate and a resource for you during this process. We will continue to keep you updated about our progress throughout the year.
You know what? A key component of these efforts is church members like you!
If you’re wondering how you can help, here are a few suggestions:
- Let us know if you know a Member of Congress, or if you’re planning to be in Washington, DC. It may be that a meeting with your Member of Congress about the dilemma faced by Christian Scientists under the Affordable Care Act is just what’s needed to earn his or her support.
- Support this work metaphysically and read the inspiration others have found in our spiritual support forum!
- Tell your fellow church members and friends about our newsletter, and encourage them to sign up! (It’s easy to do through our website.) This is the fastest way for us to engage you in the legislative work.
- Make sure we have your correct address! This allows us to contact you if we need help with your particular district or state.
- Stay updated through our website, Twitter, and these newsletters!
And dear friends, thank you for your continued support! It’s so essential to our progress! We are immensely grateful for your help—whether you’ve met with or written to your Member of Congress, visited our office or website, subscribed to our newsletter, or supported the Federal Office’s work in your prayers!
* Reminder—individuals who are enrolled in Medicare Part A by January 1, 2014, need not buy any additional insurance. They will already satisfy the law’s minimum requirements for health insurance.